In this episode, I sit down with Danielle Fairbairn-Bland, Licensed Clinical Social Worker from Vision Transformation Firm and get down to the nitty gritty of toxic work environments - what they are, how to know if you're in one and what you should do to escape.
The truth is: We're in a dangerous time right now in our society where the idea of having an abusive job is "normalized" and almost considered a rite of passage.
While we would quickly advise a friend to get out of a toxic and abusive relationship, we're more likely to accept that same friend being in a toxic and abusive work environment.
I'm not going to lie, this episode really hit home for me as I was reminded of my own toxic environment that I dealt with for two whole years. If you're currently in a toxic work environment or know someone who is, this episode is a must listen!
Episode Gems You Don't Want to Miss:
How toxic environments affect black women specifically - "Our strength is often seen as our weakness and can be a gift and a curse." [4:04]
- The definition of a "toxic work environment" - Believe it or not, it's on a spectrum and can encompass many different (often subtle) things. [6:18]
- How you can tell if you're actually in a toxic work environment and why it can be harder than you think to diagnose it. [8:50]
- How a work environment that lacks diversity can contribute to a toxic work environment - this is one I can definitely relate to! [12:10]
- How toxic work environments affect your whole life - not just your time at work, but also your self-esteem, relationships, health and overall well-being. [14:55]
- What you should do if you're currently in a toxic working environment - Hint: "Sometimes you have to tune out from the world to tune into yourself." [18:30]
Need help figuring out how to escape your toxic work environment? Apply for a strategy session today!
Other episodes and links mentioned in the Episode:
Episode #01: "My Career Story: How I Went from Laid off to Living Life!"
Episode #19: "Navigating Your Career as a Black Woman"
- Tired of your toxic work environment and ready to start your exit strategy? Fill out an application for a 1:1 Strategy Session!
If you enjoyed this podcast episode, please take a moment to rate, review and subscribe on iTunes. This is how we can spread the word about the Deeper than Work podcast and have as many women as possible join the success movement!