Dealing with Sexual Harassment at Work
Sexual harassment in the U.S. has ALWAYS been a problem.
And with the recent rise of the #metoo movement, led by Tarana Burke, our problem is now all over these internet streets for the world to see.
Yup, that's right. We've been hearing pretty much on a daily basis just how icky men have been to the women they work with. Whether it's by forceably groping or kissing them, making inappropriate comments, or flat out rape.
Did you know that over 17 million women have reported sexual assault since 1998?
It's crazy, y'all.
And of those 17 million that have reported their assault, there are millions more who've yet to speak up. These stats are just not OK by me and is the reason I've dedicated this episode to equipping you with the proper information, tools and resources you need to do your part to end this systemic problem.
In this episode, I'm diving DEEP into sexual harassment in the workplace. I break down:
- What sexual harassment is and isn't
- What we (yes, you and me included) keep doing that allows it to happen
- What we (again, you and me) can do to stop it going forward!
If you've ever experienced, witnessed, or heard about sexual harassment at work (basically, if you're an adult with access to the internet) - this episode is for you.
P.S. If you enjoy this episode, please subscribe, rate and review on iTunes.
Episode Gems You Don't Want to Miss:
- The actual, legal definition of sexual harassment - finally broken down in a way that makes it easy to spot [7:08]
- The breakdown of the different types of sexual harassment - along with clear examples [9:10]
- How Federal and State laws differ and are at play when it comes to sexual harassment at work [14:45]
- The systemic problems that need to be dealt with in the workplace - and how it helps keep the cycle of sexual harassment going [19:07]
- The things that allow harassers to keep on harassing - and why it's dangerous [21:00]
- What you can do if you experience, witness or hear about sexual harassment - you have more options than you think! [24:20]
- Why you shouldn't be afraid of retaliation if you happen to complain or support an investigation about sexual harassment [35:00]
If you enjoyed this podcast episode, please take a moment to subscribe, rate and review on iTunes. This is how we can spread the word about the Deeper than Work podcast and have as many women as possible join the Career Girl Nation!